Nepali Chicken and Vegetable Momo – A very popular majestic Nepali dish/snack.
So, what is Momo?
Nepali Momo is addictive!!
Momo, (Chicken Momo, Buff Momo, Vegetable Momo) is the Nepali version of dumpling. It is a traditional delicacy in Nepal, Tibet, China, Bhutan and certain parts of India. Its filling can be vegetables, chicken, lamb, mutton and more. In India it’s also known as Momos.
Momo in Nepal and it’s popularity?
Dal, Bhaat and Tarkari (Lentils soup, Rice and Vegetables or Meat) is the most important meal for any Nepali but lately Momo have become a staple of Nepali food culture. One can find Momo at every corner of the city: on road side stalls, local dining restaurants or high end restaurants. Momo can be eaten as snacks or dinner and can be served on any occasion.
One interesting thing about Momo is that everyone can get involved while preparing (wrapping). Momo can be wrapped in different shapes and people experiment with the wrapping style all the time. Some people wrap Momo in a triangular shape while others wrap it in a rectangular shape but the most popular one is round shaped Momo. There is also a new fashion of Open Momo in the market now. Momo is cooked usually by steaming but can also be pan fried (Kothey Momo). Momo is served with special tomato or sesame based sauce (aachar) that can be mild or hot.
Momo, traditional delicacy in China and Tibet, were brought to Nepal by Tibetan immigrants. Nepali people have added their own spices and twists to this amazing dish and made it as popular as Dal, Bhaat and Tarkari.
Types of Momo:
C-Momo or Chilli Momo (Spicy)
Kothey Momo (Pan Fried)
Honey Chilli Garlic Momo
Fried Chilli Momo
Paneer (cottage cheese) Momo
Recipe: Nepali Chicken Momo
Summary: Recipe, ingredients and method for Chicken Momo
- 2 lbs of chicken breast and thigh
- 1 full white onions
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 table spoon grated ginger
- Half table spoon grated garlic
- Half table spoon white pepper
- 1 table spoon of cumin powder
- Salt according to the taste
- 3 table spoon oil (preferably Olive oil)
- 2 bunch finely chopped cilantro
- Green Chilli for the Sauce
- 1 table spoon Sesame seed for sauce
- 2 lbs of ripe tomatoes
Instructions to prepare meat and wrapping the momo
- Preparing the stuffing: In one big bowl mix all the above ingredients. Make sure it’s thoroughly mixed. Let it sit in the refrigerator for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Preparing the patties: You can buy already made patties from some local Indian or Chinese store. That’s what I do.
- Wrapping: Please check the video instruction below for wrapping the Momo. Follow the instruction and use your own creativity as well. That’s the fun part of making Momo. Invite your guests to be part of it too.
- Steaming: Boil water in Momo streamer. When ready, put Momo on top shelf of the streamer. Steam Momo for at least 15 minutes and not more than 20 minutes on high heat.
Instructions to prepare momo sauce
* Fried Sesame seed, Green Chilli, Red Chilli, Ginger and Garlic Paste, Salt, Fresh Cilantro, Cumin see, Turmeric powder
1. Heat up Oil
2. Add little Cumin Seed
3. Add turmeric powder
4. Fry 4 Red Chilli
5. Add 10 to 12 tomato chopped
6. Add 2 green chilli
7. Add 3 table spoon fried Sesame Seed
8. Add ginger garlic Paste 50% – 50%
9. Cook it until boiled
10. Add ½ bunch of green cilantro
11. Add salt to taste
12. Add 1 teaspoon Garlic for flavor again
13. Cook few more minutes
15. Let it cool
Preparation time: 35 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Kothey momo is a pan fried momo.
To learn more about Chicken Momo, it’s history, momo food pairing, how to eat momo and how to order, please visit Himalayan restaurant: Chicken Momo details